Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Medusa in Pop Culture [Toys]

I've got enough pop culture content on Medusa to last several posts and am still accumulating stuff. So here's a few examples of toy "Medusas."

The Monster in my Pocket Medusas are some of my favorite childhood toys. A product line of Matchbox in the early 1990s, Monster in my Pocket (MIMP) released series of small, colored rubber characters of monsters from all over the world. They got a bid of a bad rap because some of their "monsters" were actually religious idols (like Ganesha, ooops) but the little figures still hold a dear place in my heart* (and I've learned to sort out the true "monsters" from the others.)

I've also included a vinyl plush toy and a character from the Spawn series, both of which take a very liberal interpretation of "Medusa" to create some pretty cool stuff.


Monster in My Pocket - Medusas - 1990s [approx 1" tall]

Spawn - "Medusa"


Vinyl Toy by Esctoy


*I think I'll do a post exclusively on MIMP at some point in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment